Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gluten Free Bread - and it tastes good ! :D

I am very excited today! I have finally found a recipe for gluten free bread that easy, fast and tastes good! If you have ever tried to eat gluten free bread from the store, you will understand my excitement ;-)    Let me explain how this all came about.... A little while ago a friend from church and I talked about german bread and how much we miss it (she is german as well). Then she told me that she has a great and easy recipe for baking bread at home, without a bread machine. Well, I wasn't too excited at first because I know about baking bread. When the kids where younger, I used to bake bread all the time - without the bread baker and from scratch. It was usually not too bad but rather messy, though the kneading process was surprisingly stress relieving, seeing that one could pound the dough and really work it through.... then you have to let it rise and wait and knead and let it rise and finally bake. And don't forget all the clean up. It was rather tedious to wash out all the fresh (very) sticky bread dough out of the wash cloth and get if of the work surface ...... hhmm, no I wasn't too eager to try baking again. It tasted good, but I just dreaded all the work. My friend assured me though, that the whole process is very quick, easy and painless. She must have seen the doubt in my face, because she invited me to her place to bake bread. Well, I was curious and I like spending time with her, so I agreed to come over a few weeks later. When baking day came, I went to my friends house with some other lovely ladies from our church, who were just as curious about baking bread in a 'painless' way.
Well, to make a long story short - it was great, easy, painless and delicious !
We mixed the dough in a stand mixer, put it in an ice cream bucket, let it rise for about one hour, took a chunk out and baked it - done! The rest of the dough stays in the bucket in the fridge and when you are ready to bake the next bread, you take out another chunk of dough, let it rise for about 90 minutes and bake it - done! It truly was easy and the clean up is done very fast and easy. Of course we baked regular bread at my friends house, but when I got home, I remembered that about a year ago I recipes from another friend and they were from the same book that my friend used when she baked the bread with us. So I set out to find the recipes and I found them! Sure enough, it was the same book! "Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes A Day".  Sooo, of course I tried the recipes and to my great surprise - it came out great and tastes great! I have tried a sweet bread for Easter - I don't have pictures of that. After that I made the the gluten free olive oil bread. Can you say awesome :D   So I mixed the dough one evening, it took about 20 minutes, including clean up. Put it in an ice cream bucket and put the lid loosely on it. Let it sit for 2 hours and then put it in the fridge. I wanted to bake bread the next day. Well, the next day we all had a craving for pizza. If you have been gluten free for a little while, you know that this can be a problem. Though Dominos has GF pizza but it is small and rather expensive ( $ 10 for a small pizza) and we would have had to buy at least two pizzas. I remembered though that somewhere in the recipe it talked about using the olive oil dough for pizza. So we stopped at the grocery store and got some pizza sauce, cheese, ham, pineapple and olives and went home. It took some of the dough out of the ice cream bucket and made two pizzas. I just had to flatten the dough and put all the stuff on it and put it in the oven - done! It was really, really good! The next day I used the rest of the dough to bake bread. You just have to let it rise for about 90 min and bake it - done! It is one of the best GF breads I ever had! It is hard not to eat too much! If this all made you curious, here is the website, it even has a short video on how it is done. Take a look, you will be amazed how easy it is to make bread - and cheap! I have ordered the book now, because there is one chapter of gluten free baking in it, seeing how much money I can save in buying bread it is well worth the investment :)
Now that I talked all about our yummy food, here are some pictures :)





It was supposed to be done on a pizza stone, I used a
pizza tray with foil, since I have only one pizza stone.



It turned out very well :)


Ham and Pineapple - yummy.....



Doesn't that look good ?


Same dough as the pizza.


It is a little bit chewy but not too dense and
crispy on the outside. Very delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment