Saturday, February 19, 2011

Physical Science

I was up fairly early today and could enjoy some time before everyone else woke up. I sat down with hot and wonderful smelling cup of coffee and started checking my email. It was so nice and peaceful and quiet and relaxed....until I came to an email from someone on one of the email groups I am on. She said that she researched the topic and called some Colleges on the east coast and she found out that many of them didn't accept Apologia Physical Science as a High School course. That the way it is written right now, it doesn't qualify as one anyway. In order to give a High School credit, there needs to be a research paper at the end of the course! My heart dropped...REALLY???? How is it that I didn't know about this? My poor child is suffering through this. There is some math that is pretty tough for her because she didn't have that yet. Yesterday she finally had a break through and really understood the math and the subject. She also wrote the test and got an A - in science! Yeah, major accomplishment! I am so proud of her! Now I had to tell her that she has to write a pretty good research paper (I am thinking something like 8 pages, 5 points...but have to find out more). She was pretty sad, because she was so looking forward to being half way done with this......
I feel awful, I should have researched this better ..... in my defense, it does say on their website that it is for 8th grade but can also be a 9th grade course.... sigh......

Well, I guess we are off to the library ..... maybe I get a nice big Latte to comfort me....

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully by adding the research paper, though, it will fulfill the requirement. That's better than losing the credit and all that work.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, as far as I heard it does, though some colleges may still not accept it - ugh!

    ReplyDelete