Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sweet tooth....

We had a bit of a rough week. All of us have been sick with some sort of a bug. Nothing serious, just really bad headaches and dizziness. We finally got over it - yeah!
In the middle of our painful days we really had a craving for something sweet. It took a while to find a recipe, because reading was difficult and painful - but I found a recipe and tried it out. It was really good, so I thought I would share it here. Maybe someone else needs some comfort food ;-)  We are still eating gluten free, though we don't know if we feel better due to the flu bug...... I am sure that we will find out now that we are well again and sunshine is once more our friend. 

Gluten free Banana Lemon Loaf


1 cup rice flour
1 cup buckwheat flour (I usually just use 2 cups rice flour)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp margarine or butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
23 oz bananas (I use 3 average sized ones)
4 large eggs
4 tbsp icing sugar (I just use regular sugar)
1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350
Sift flours with baking powder and salt.
Beat the butter, sugar and bananas together until smooth and then briefly stir in the eggs.
Stir this into the flour mixture until blended.
Pour into a large loaf pan and bake for about 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is just firm.
Cool for 10 minutes and then mix the sugar with the lemon juice and drizzle over the top. (I like it lemony so I use more lemon juice)

That's all there is to it!
I personally have used only rice flour and doubled the powdered sugar and lemon for the icing.
This cake is lemony and moist and delicious, and will keep well for several days. Even if you have no problem with gluten, you should try this fantastic recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment