Wednesday, April 6, 2011

New Gluten Free Recipe

In my last post I talked about my new stand mixer. This time I would like to share a recipe for a gluten free cake. Of course I really just wanted to use the new mixer ;-)  It works really good and I am happy with my purchase.
Aside from the fact that I wanted to try out the mixer, we all had a real craving for something  citrus-y. For Dinner we had Rice with Broccoli with Orange and sausage with Mango chutney and a salad with Mangos, Romaine lettuce and Sunflower seeds. It was very good but I think that is where our craving for something citrus-y started.... Probably because we are all sick and our bodies just need vitamin C.
So anyway, I had some Oranges that need to be eaten so I decided to make an Orange cake with orange cream frosting. (I would suggest to use the zest of oranges only if they are organic)

Orange Cake

2 1/2 cups of flour mix ( see the bottom for what I used)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups sugar
zest of 2 oranges
2 oranges, whirled around in the food processor
4 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla 
I started by grating the orange peel into a bowl. Next I peeled the oranges out of the remaining peel and put them into the food processor. I processed it until it was like a sort of orange juice, I have some kids who don't like " pieces" in their cake :-)





















Then I beat the oils, orange peel, and sugar until smooth and added the eggs. Then I poured the oranges from the food processor into it. It gets very liquid-y so be sure to turn the speed down on the mixer.




Now I added the flour, after that was worked in, I added the baking powder, salt and vanilla.









Pour into a large loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 40 min. You may want to check before that, depending how hot your oven gets.
Cool for 20 min and then put the glaze on. 





Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 Orange
a few tablespoons of heavy whipping cream

Again, grate the peel of the orange. When you are done add the powdered sugar and the juice from the orange. While mixing it add a little heavy whipping cream until you have the desired consistency. You can also you milk, half and half or water instead of the whipping cream. That is just what I happened to have on hand.







It was very delicious! The light taste of coconut complements the orange taste. The cake has semi- dense texture. I think that is due to the coconut flour. It didn't last long in our house. It was almost half gone before it was even cold :D




 Guten Appetit :D

































No comments:

Post a Comment