Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Oh, how time escapes me....

It has been a while since I last blogged. My husband has been here and left again and we are trying hard to find a routine again. I don't know what it is, but we have been incredibly busy the last two weeks. Now I am sitting here and just saw that a severe Thunderstorm warning was issued for our county. Not surprising, it was so hot and humid here that I even turned the A/C on for a few hours to get the humidity out of the house. 
Since I am sitting here and being lazy because it is still so warm, I thought I let you know how our first homemade wheat free pizza turned out. We made a few weeks ago and I also used the pizza stone for the first time. With this pizza here, I went with the direction and it turned out to be pretty crisp. The next pizza we made was better because I didn't preheat the pizza stone. That was much better! The recipe is from the Gluten Free Gourmet cookbook, let me know if you would like to know which one exactly.

Yeast-Rising Thick Pizza Crust

2 cups rice flour
2 cups tapioca flour
2/3 cup dry powder milk or nondairy substitute
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pizza seasoning, optional ( I didn't have it and it was still very good)
2 tablespoons dry yeast granules
1 cup lukewarm water, 105 to 115 F ( I never actually measured the temp.)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons shortening 
1/2 cup hot water
4 egg whites at room temperature

In the bowl of a heavy duty mixer, put flours, milk, xanthan gum, and salt. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water with the tablespoon of sugar added. Melt the shortening in the hot water.
With the mixer on low, blend the dry ingredients adding the seasoning if desired. Pour in the hot water and shortening, blending to mix. Add the egg whites, blend again, the add the yeast mixture. Beat on high speed for 4 minutes.
Spoon half the the dough onto the greased cookie sheet or round pizza tin. ( I put it onto the pizza stone. I did put cornmeal on it before though.)
With your hand in a plastic bag, pat the dough out in a circle about 1/4 inch thick except at the edges, which should be higher to contain the sauce and fillings. Repeat with second half of the dough (I put that in a baggie and froze it, worked just fine after thawing). Let rise 10 min, then bake in preheated 400 F oven 5 to 7 minutes before spreading with your sauce and favorite toppings. Bake 20 to 22 more minutes. About 8 to 12 servings.
Okay, I did not preheat or prebake the pizza, it worked much better for us to put on the sauce and toppings and then bake. At least that is how it worked for us with the pizza stone. It was very yummy! Really not much different from regular pizza at all. Give it a try :D


The dough looks like regular dough, right?

Here is the pizza with all the toppings, looks sooo good..

I went with the suggested 20 min, which turned out to be too much for my oven, but it was still very, very good. For the next pizza I reduced the baking time by 5 min and it was just right. Unfortunately we were to greedy and ate the pizza before we remembered to take a picture :D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment