Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yummy treats....

This week we have spend a little of our time watching "The West Ladies" aka Homestead Blessings. We watched the Dairy Delights, Crafts, Cooking and Herbs. It was really fun to see how easy these wonderful ladies make the work look like. Even my little guy had fun watching it and he learned about herbs and such as well. It was pretty cool. Since we were drooling over the cooking dvd and got really hungry, we decided to try some things. Of course we have to adapt some of recipes because we need them to be gluten-free. I have been buying Jules flour for a little while now and really, really like it. It doesn't taste gluten-free at all. We really enjoy it. Anyway, I searched her recipes for peach cobbler and found it. I haven't had peach cobbler since I lived in the south, about 16 years ago. It took me about 10 min to prep it and put it in the oven. It came out very nicely and tasted so delicious! I had a hard time to defend it from certain children (who got up in the middle of the night to steal another piece of peach cobbler). In the morning we had only two pieces left - I guess I have to make some more  :D

A quick picture before it was all gone. Unfortunately GF flour doesn't brown like regular flour.

Yesterday we treated ourselves to homemade ice cream. No we don't use the hand-crank the West Ladies use ;-)  We have a little electric one, which works very nicely and produces about 1 1/2 quarts of ice cream. We tried it last night for the first time and boy, was it good ! The recipe is very easy.

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Though I must say that the 2 cups heavy cream was a little too rich. We had some of the cream stuck to the roof of our gums. So next time I will try it with only 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 cups of whole milk. I think that might be just a little less rich. I use vanilla without alcohol, which I think makes it so much better tasting. I will write an update on the reduced fat ice cream. It was too late last night to make chocolate sauce, which I really enjoy, so we used the sprinkles we have on hand.



I liked mine without anything, just pure :)

No comments:

Post a Comment