Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bible in 90 days

Have you ever read a biography of George Muller? I did, twice and I was and still am totally inspired. This man helped orphans during a time when no one cared about them. Not only did he give them shelter and food, he also gave them love and more importantly he showed them Jesus! That is already so  inspiring. The next thing that I find amazing about this man is that he didn't have the money to finance the orphanages, it was all donated yet he never ask people for money. He only asked God, who faithfully supplied all that was needed. That is worth a bible study all by itself. With all of this work and responsibilities this wonderful man took the time to read through the entire bible 400 plus times!
This puts the ball in my court and has me wondering how often have I read through the bible? Truth be told, I don't think I ever have read through the complete bible cover to cover.  I have read through most books but I don't think I could say that I read every book and every chapter. I have tried many bible reading plans and make it for about two or three months and then I fall behind and just never quite catch up again and go off on my own tangent. I don't know about others, but I find it very confusing to read in four different places in the bible.


So when a friend of mine wrote about the bible in 90 days, I got curious and googled it. What I found was intriguing. So, I have to read about 1 hour and an average of 12 chapters each day. It really seems like a lot, especially since I am not a fast reader and I can easily get stuck on a verse or sentence and try to analyze it. I thought it would be helpful for me to listen to the bible. I have this really cool app on my iPhone ; Bible.is . I can listen to the whole bible and it is dramatized, the really nice thing is that I can use the ESV which I really like. That way I can fold my laundry or bake bread, drive my teenage daughters all over the place, even do something really useful while I wait for them to take them back home again. I can  listen to the bible, cover to cover (so to speak) in 90 days. I think that is a cool idea. Maybe not like it was intended but hey, I get through the whole bible that way, right?  I hope this will help keep me on track. I am sure there will be days when I read right along.
I have heard, well, actually read, from many people that it is very rewarding to read through the bible in a short time because when you get to the NT you still remember the OT very well, because you have just read it. Also it seems that in this way of reading, it ties the whole bible together in a way that is not always so easily observed when reading through the bible in one year. So, I am very curious and will let you know how it is going.
Maybe you feel like joining me? The Bible.is is free to download or you can just read it.
Tomorrow Genesis is on the schedule chapters 1 through 16.
Let's see what I can tell you tomorrow…...

No comments:

Post a Comment